Saugys have been a Rhode Island contained phenomenon since 1869. Started by Alphonse Saugy in the late 1800s, it was a staple of the old Canal Street provisions district located at 274 and 285 Canal Street in Providence, RI for decades.
In 1912, at the early age of 14, Leo McCaughey, grandfather of the current owner, started working for the Saugy brothers driving a horse-drawn wagon along the cobblestone streets of Providence. Leo later became a salesman for the company, then President and CEO. To say he worked his way up is an understatement.
During World War II, Alphonse shut the place down because he couldn't get the high-quality meat that he needed. Leo, along with Adam Leips and Ludo Spangenberger, reopened Saugy on June 7, 1944.
In 1971, Saugy moved from Canal Street to 30 Cross Street in Providence. It was a nostalgically measured move on Leo's part since he was born on 20 Cross Street.
Saugy as We Know It Today
For over 150 years, Saugy Franks have been a Rhode Island tradition and New England favorite! Utilizing a family recipe consisting of all natural ingredients that have been passed down from generation to generation, you are sure to enjoy every last savory bite. The Saugy Frank is unequaled in its appearance, texture, and flavor. They are a homegrown and Rhode Island contained phenomenon, although we ship nationwide.
At the early age of fourteen, Mary O'Brien dreamt about taking Rhode Island's famous natural casing German style Frankfurt far beyond the Rhode Island border. Twenty-five years later, she got her chance! Taking the reins of her family's 132-year-old company in 2001, Mary quickly decided that with today's manufacturing technology, the famous hotdogs could be produced at greater volume without sacrificing quality.
Saugys are still made much the way they were in days gone by, with quality ingredients and the familiar snap. They are available for all backyard barbecues and tailgate parties throughout New England!